Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Topics:

x9
x1

asked: Jun 02, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Seen: 3833 times

Last Updated: Jun 02, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I Downloaded latest trial version of the .net reflector. I could not Extract .XAML files from my WPF assembly! I am not sure if this was because of the trial version?

We would be very interested in buying the pro version of the reflector as we need to extract some lost XAML files from wpf assemblies.

Please let me know as soon as possible. Do not hesitate to email me on khatri.hitesh@gmail.com

Regards. Hitesh.
more ▼
asked Jun 02, 2011 at 12:39 PM hitesh97 11 hitesh97 gravatar image
(comments are locked)
10|600 characters needed characters left

Hi Hitesh,

All you need to do is use the BamlViewer add-in to regenerate your XAML. You may need to recompile it against .NET Reflector 7, but you can download both source and binaries from http://reflectoraddins.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=BamlViewer&ProjectName=reflectoraddins. To recompile against Reflector 7 just open the project in Visual Studio, remove the Reflector reference, and add a new reference to Reflector 7's reflector.exe.

HTH,

Bart

more ▼

answered Jun 02, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Bart gravatar image

Bart ♦♦
604 3 10

(comments are locked)

Hi Bart, thanks for the reply.

I did the abvoe yesterday and made BAML viewer working with Reflector 7, However, My question was that,

If I am purchasing the Reflector Product for disassembling WPF / Silverlight application, I should not need to use Open source plugin to extract XAML/BAML from wpf/silverlight applications..

Reflector is one of the most powerful tools available for disassembling managed code, hence, This feature should be available as a default feature of Reflector, dont you think so?

let me know your opinion.

Cheers. Hitesh.
more ▼

answered Jun 03, 2011 at 09:47 AM

hitesh97 gravatar image

hitesh97
11 1 2 3

RichardD gravatar image RichardD Jun 03, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Of course it would be nice if Reflector could do this without an add-in, but there would be many issues with incorporating open-source code into a commercial product.
(comments are locked)

Hi Hitesh,

I certainly understand your perspective, but the add-in API exists specifically to allow people to extend Reflector to provide additional functionality that is not available in the core product. Therefore I would say that the plethora of add-ins makes a strong case towards a purchase of .NET Reflector rather than against it.

Regarding BAML to XAML decompilation, we are certainly considering the option of integrating this into the core product but, as I'm sure you can understand, there are also many other things we either would like to do, or actually need to do, so I am unwilling to make any definite statement about when this might be delivered.

Thanks,

Bart
more ▼

answered Jun 03, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Bart gravatar image

Bart ♦♦
604 3 10

hitesh97 gravatar image hitesh97 Jun 03, 2011 at 05:13 PM

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand and appreciate Reflector being really flexible in terms of extensibility, and hence there are so many add-ins available in the community.

however, the core feature "Export Assembly Source Code" should export ALL available resources including XAML especially because NOW WPF and silverlight are Dominent UI platforms.

I will discuss with my team leader/project manager and see if we can still purchase reflector.

Regards. hitesh.
(comments are locked)

Hi Hitesh,

I just wanted to let you know about the new .NET Reflector 7.3 early access build, which includes BAML to XAML decompilation as part of the core product:

http://www.reflector.net/2011/07/net-reflector-7-2-has-been-released-and-a-net-reflector-7-3-ea-build-including-baml-decompilation-is-now-available/

If you encounter any problems with it, please let us know.

Many thanks,

Bart

more ▼

answered Jul 08, 2011 at 03:36 PM

Bart gravatar image

Bart ♦♦
604 3 10

(comments are locked)
Your answer
osqa.question.ask.tags.preview.show

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 524.3 kB each and 1.0 MB total.